UPJS - Faculty of Medicine
Basic Facts about the Faculty of Medicine UPJS
The Faculty of Medicine was founded in the year 1948 as a branch of the Faculty of Medicine of the Slovak University, later Comenius University in Bratislava. In the year 1959 the Faculty of Medicine and the Philosophical Faculty acceded, and a new university in East Slovakia, Pavol Jozef Šafárik University, was established.
The origin of the Faculty of Medicine bears relation with the State Hospital in Kosice, having been officially opened on 24th June 1924. Later on, a new modern complex of the Faculty of Medicine and the Teaching Hospital were built. The new twenty-storey building of the Teaching Hospital was opened at the beginning of the year 1981. This is now a huge hospital complex of 1 616 beds.
The faculty consists of 57 departments and clinics carrying out their professional performance. There are 2121 Slovak students and 587 international students from 40 countries (28%) studying at the Faculty in the academic year 2012/2013.
> read more at the faculty web site